It is a form of autism and Asperger’s syndrome now comes under the single umbrella term of autism spectrum disorder (ASD). It cannot be cured, appropriate intervention and support can help people to develop skills and coping strategies. Social skills training can assist people on the autism spectrum in understanding how to read the different expectations of social situations.
Undiagnosed Aspergers Signs And Symptoms In Adults
Better than average skills the people with Asperger may have high intelligence. There are many adults out there who are on the spectrum but have never been diagnosed, so here in this article “Undiagnosed Aspergers in adults symptoms!” you will explore the signs and symptoms of autism in adults as well as all the benefits of being properly diagnosed. Read on.
What is undiagnosed Aspergers?
Aspergers is considered to be as the high-functioning form of autism and many doctors still use the term Asperger syndrome or Asperger’s. But now all autism diagnosis is ASD. This was the unique diagnosis listed in the American Psychiatric Association’s Diagnosis and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) until 2013 when all forms of autism were combined under one umbrella diagnosis, autism spectrum disorder.
Main Asperger’s symptom in adults
Not every people experience the symptom in the same wayThe symptoms of high-functioning ASD in adults can be divided into three areas:
1. Emotional and behavioral symptom
The emotional and behavioral symptom has been categorized into four they are:
- Repetitive behaviors: It is a common symptom of ASD. The best example we could give is doing the same thing every morning before work, spinning something a certain number of times, or opening a door a certain way. This behavior doesn’t mean you have AS.
- Inability to understand emotional issues: People with AS have some difficulties when they are asked to interpret social or emotional issues such as grief or frustration.
- First-person focus: The adults with AS have difficulties to see the world from another person’s perspective. They will have a hard time with reactions, actions, words, and behaviors.
- Exaggerated emotional response: They are struggling to cope with the emotional situations, feelings of frustration or changes in the pattern.
2. Communication symptoms
The communication symptom has been categorized into five they are:
- Social difficulties: People with AS may struggle with social interactions.
- Speech difficulties: People with AS may have difficulty in moderating voice for environment places like church or library.
- Exceptional verbal skills: Adults with AS has typical strong verbal skills.
- Below average non-verbal skills: Adults with AS may not pick up the non-verbal skills such as hand gestures, body language, and facial expressions.
- Lack of eye contact: They may not make eye contact when talking to another person.
The other major symptoms of Aspergers in adults are:
- Clumsiness: In adults with ASD motor coordination difficulties are significantly common. Motor coordination may include the difficulty of performing tasks like sitting or walking correctly.
- Obsession: Hyperfocus on a specific topic is not uncommon for individuals with AS. They may have a deep understanding and vast vocabulary related to this topic. And also they insist on talking about it when engaging with others.
They may also experience the symptoms which can be helpful and beneficial. For example, they have the ability to focus and they also have the ability to concentrate on an issue or problem. Especially if its interest you for long periods of time.
The cause of Asperger’s syndrome/ASD is not fully known. Experts suspect that a combination of genes and exposure to one or more environmental factors is what triggers its development. There are some environmental factors that have been investigated as potentially contributing to the development of Asperger’s syndrome or ASD, they are:
- Advanced maternal and paternal age
- A fetal environment
- Smoking and alcohol use
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Toxic exposures like air pollution or pesticides
Don’t miss the Zenith Labs Probiotic T 50 Review
If you experience these or similar kind of symptoms of ASD, consult a doctor or mental health professional for a formal assessment and learn more about it. Hope you liked this article “Undiagnosed Aspergers in adults symptoms” and find useful. If you loved this article we would love to hear about your results. Are there any questions or if you have any other suggestion and inquiries you can get in touch with me through the comments section.